Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Best Bites From 2012, Part One




What a wonderful, very filling year! Was reviewing my food snaps from the past 12 months, and, dang,  there were some mighty memorable meals.

I traveled to Hawaii and gorged on poke, mango and drank from a coconut every day I was there. Then, there was a star-studded trip to the Aspen Food & Wine Classic, an epic road trip that stirred up powerful waves of nostalgia for early days in my newspaper career in Colorado. Los Angeles was a blast, especially the brilliant bites at Mexicatessan in Eagle Rock. Oh, those crispy duck skin tacos!

There are still lots of days on the 2012, but I doubt anything can top the competition barbecue I pigged out on at the Kingsford Invitational in Belle, Missouri. So, so tender/smoky/messy good!

Still, no matter how from home I roam, I come back to Seattle so pumped about the amazing food here. The spectacular ingredients, the chefs and kitchen crews with heart and drive, the stunning settings in which you can enjoy these incredible edibles adds up to a vibrant food scene that just keeps getting better all the time.

Photos from top to bottom:

Wagyu carpaccio at Metropolitan Grill.

Madison Park Conservatory's superstar chefs Zoi and Cormac (one of Food & Wine's best new chefs this year... yay!) impressing the hell out of the crowds in Aspen.

Beet "tartare" at Steelhead Diner.

The Tom Douglas catering crew making some kick-ass barbecue brisket sandwiches.


No comments: