Thursday, October 11, 2007

Farmers/growers star in Whole Foods slideshows

My friend, photojournalist, Kate Medley has been doing some wonderful work for Whole Foods, telling the stories of farmers/growers/producers in a series of slideshows called Farm to Market. The focus, so far, has been on the rural South, but I would sure like to see this show hit the road to this region.

I would start in the area's various cheese cellars, but this approach seems well suited to Washington's growing number of wineries, too.

Speaking of the loveliest liquid to come out of our great state, I noticed that a handful of vintners have been invited to pour at the Wine Spectator's Critics' Choice Grand Tastings in New York (on Oct. 25, if you want to enter it on your Treo).

Washington will be well represented by Betz Family, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia Crest, Quilceda Creek and DeLille. My favorite producer will be there, too. I have never had a bad bottle of L'Ecole No. 41. The semillon is my go-to white, perfect with just about every kind of food I throw at it. And, I love that the price will work on my beer budget.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie...sorry this question doesn't have anything to do with your post but I wasn't sure how else to get a hold of you. Was hoping you might have a lunch recommendation for a friend and I who are eating downtown or close to downtown tomorrow. I can never remember which of my favorite restaurants serve lunch. Maybe something BYOB wine friendly...thanks so much!!

Leslie Kelly said...

Blake, I've been pretty happy sitting in the bar at the Metropolitan Grill, I think they charge $15 corkage.
Also enjoy Taste at SAM and Place Pigalle at the Market.
Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the recommendations. We just may give Place Pigalle a shot! Eat well :)