Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Egg A Day Experiment, Part 11


I'm going to a tapas potluck tonight. Scallops from Taylor Shellfish are the star of the show and fritters from a Red Cat (the famous pub in Brooklyn) recipe. Can't wait!

So, what am I bringing?

My kick-ass deviled eggs. I've said this before, but it bears repeating: I'm a fairly recent convert to the charms of these heavenly bites. It wasn't until I lived in the South that I got to taste deviled eggs as they were meant to be, the yolks turned velvety instead of gritty because somebody had the good sense to add a little butter. Be still my sluggishly beating heart.

Since my deviled egg epiphany, I've been playing around with making my own. It's harder than you think. The biggest challenge for me is peeling the eggs. It seems like those shells would slide right off, but no... They crumble and shatter into a million sharp little pieces that you have pick off the egg one by one by one until you're ready to SCREAM!

Please, somebody show me the way! How's it done? If you share, I promise to print my secret recipe for deviled eggs that have the power to make saints into sinners.

5 comments:

fancycwabs said...

Do you peel the eggs while they're still hot? That usually makes the difference for me.

Jenny T. said...

I absolutely love deviled eggs. I also love egg salad sandwiches, so I've had a lot of experience with eggs that won't peel properly. I've learned that using eggs that have sat in the fridge for 3-5 days helps a lot (fresh eggs never work for me). Also, I let the eggs sit in an ice-water bath for about 30 min after they're done cooking. 90% of the time, these two tricks yield easy-to-peel eggs. I'm loving your egg-a-day posts!

Anonymous said...

I think it partially depends on the method you cook them (I use Julia Child's method). But also, if you fail at peeling and there's little chards left, just rinse it under water. It won't soak up the water, and the chards will rinse right off.

Unknown said...

There are two way to make the eggs easy to peel. First, use eggs that are at least a week old. We have a backyard chicken coop and the fresh eggs are impossible to peel. To peel the eggs, roll them on a hard surface so they are cracked all around and then take the shell off under water. If you shake the egg as you are peeling it the water will get under the shell and help it to separate

Catleah said...

I was at that tapas party and all I can say is I want to learn how to make your deviled eggs. Beguiling. Just terriffic.