Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The search for food that comforts

My darling daughter has pneumonia. Who knows how she got it? She's a healthy kid, rarely been on antibiotics. Bounces right back from the occasional cold. But not this time. She's damn sick.

Naturally, I have been trying to make her feel better with food. What are you craving? I ask. Nothing, she doesn't have an appetite. 

I've also been researching online which foods are most vitamin-rich to help prop up her battered immune system. I am woefully lacking in my knowledge of what's got what in it, beyond the typical Vitamin-C stuff. And I've never been a pill popper, preferring to get my nutrients from food rather than supplements. So, this unfortunate turn of events has opened my eyes to the power of what we eat. 

The fridge is now bursting with fresh fruits and veggies, which seems like a no-brainer, but it's easy to get in a salad/banana-buying rut at the supermarket. I've been exploring all sorts of citrus, getting in on the last of the season's peaches, paying a ridiculous amount of cash for organically grown raspberries. I'm going to cook up a mess of greens. Do you know there's a rainbow of vitamins in a pot of collards? We are gonna kick this pneumonia's ass!

Please feel free to share any home remedies/feel good suggestions. If you don't want to post, you can send directly to me at Leslie dot Dines at gmail dot com.  

UPDATE: The patient is feeling better, requesting mac-and-cheese. Is it just my imagination, or is the sick season starting earlier every year? 

1 comment:

Kristie Lauborough said...

There's always the old standby of chicken noodle soup. Studies have shown that it does help illnesses, and what's more comforting that that. Soup, to me, is the ultimate comfort food. A nice tangy tomato bisque with grilled cheese. Yum!!