Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tribute to mayo!


Found some old photos, which made me deeply nostalgic! This was taken at the Calvary Waffle Shop, a wonderous place that only exists during Lent at the Calvary Baptist Church in Memphis. You didn't have to go to the noon preaching to enjoy the lunch, which included made-from-scratch mayo. 

John T. Edge wrote about this delicious tradition in the revised edition of "Southern Belly."

I've never successfully made my own mayo, but have learned to embellish the store-bought stuff pretty well. Last night, made a true remoulade to spoon on top of fresh Dungeness crab some friends caught in the San Juans. It was so sweet, so fresh.

In my extended family tree, there was one branch firmly planted in the Miracle Whip camp. I still love my cousins, but YUCK! 

So, where do you stand? Mayo? Miracle Whip?

6 comments:

Kristie Lauborough said...

Mayo, hands down. Preferably Blue Plate, but I can't get that here.

Veronica said...

M-A-Y-O.

And while we are at it, what I wouldn't do for a jar of Duke's.

Leslie Kelly said...

I love Blue Plate! And Duke's, oh boy!!

Been meaning to try the new olive oil mayo from Best Foods....

Curt said...

Homemade mayo is easy and so much better than store-bought. I use a food processor, which is cheating to some. I'm reading Julia Child's memoir of her years in France. Her recipe from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" (reproduced in the memoir) is a little more involved but doesn't look too difficult.

Anonymous said...

Around here (North Carolina) the fight is always between Duke's and something else. I was raised on Hellmann's but that doesn't always sit well with Southern purists.Bill Smith

Kristie Lauborough said...

If I had a food processor - I don't, and I want one badly - I'd make my own mayo all the time.

For now? It's usually Best Foods (which is Hellmanns).