Friday, December 12, 2008

Deadliest Catch?


This motley crew of Alaska fishermen includes my nephew -- Brandon's the guy second from the right -- and I'd be lying if I said I didn't fret about his safety when he's out there.

He recently gifted me a big bag of king crab, some of the sweetest I've tried. I sauteed it in shallots and butter and finished with a splash of white wine. 

I recently got an invite to go to a dinner where Captain Sig Hansen was the special guest and it pained me to have to turn it down; I'm a huge fan of the show, for obvious reasons. (Brandon's boat FV Karen Lynn has made only cameo appearances.) But I'm grateful to get a few cool crab inspiration reading over recipes from chef Justin Sledge, who created the dinner at the Salish Lodge and Spa.

Here's the one I'm dying to try: crab and chanterelle chowder. 

No comments: