Sunday, December 28, 2008

Just back from a home-cooked Christmas vacation


Had such a wonderful trip to New Mexico, where my sister and her man, Greg, spoiled us with home-cooked meals like the hoecakes, country ham and sauteed apples pictured above.

After a day of skiing at Taos, we visited friends from Memphis who had moved out to this hauntingly beautiful, wide open place, and were treated to Dave's homemade pizza.

Later, we ate tamales Christmas eve and a huge hunka roast beef on Christmas Day, twice-baked potatoes and Caesar salad on the side. I can't remember the last time I went a week without stepping foot in a restaurant, and I was back on the job shortly after the plane touched down in Seattle. 

Wonder if there's anywhere in this fine city I can score some hoecakes and country ham? Nah, didn't think so. There's really no place like home for humble fare like that.

What about you? Did you get enough to eat over the holidays? Starting to think about resolutions to eat less/exercise more come 2009? I was interviewed about dieting a couple of days ago, and said -- tongue planted firmly in cheek -- that I planned to cut back on deep-fried bacon come the first of the year! 

1 comment:

David Hinske said...

Hoecakes? Sounds like something from a bakery in Memphis. Glad you could swing by while you were in Taos.