Monday, May 19, 2008

Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest, Part 2






Had such a blast at the world's biggest pig roast this weekend in Memphis, the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest. 

There's tons of debauchery, but it gets very serious Saturday during the judging. I followed the judges during the final round of the whole hog category and saw the team that eventually took the Grand Championship prize, The Natural Born Grillers. I've seen a few of these spiels in my three years covering the event, part truth, part BS. 

I was really impressed with the way the team leader talked about the connection with a local farmer. Many teams use commodity pork, but I think the future of competition 'cue will be artisan pigs. 

Did I mention I was on the program? Gave presentations on the regional barbecue, my fingers sticky from the pulled pork sandwich from Payne's. That's my favorite barbecue in Memphis, and I just noticed this trip, it's located on Lamar and SEATTLE. Small world!

1 comment:

David Hinske said...

Wow, Tom Lee Park looks great this spring on the banks of the Muddy. Sounds like Leslie's excellent adventure. I can almost smell it!