Monday, January 19, 2009

Day of service?

I've been watching clips from famous speeches delivered by Martin Luther King, Jr., this morning. I am in awe of the prophetic sermon he preached the night before he was assassinated, which rings so true the day before President-elect Barack Obama's swearing in as our country's new leader. MLK had been to the mountaintop and seen the promised land. Amen!

So, I've been struggling to figure out how to juggle deadlines and the parade and the business of life and still find time to dedicate to the day of service. It might not happen today, but I'm committed to giving my time this year, working as a board member for the U-District Food Bank. And, just in case this day passes without me giving, I'm going to go to the Web site and make a cash donation this morning. Because, even though our household stands to lose two incomes if/when the P-I closes in March, I know there are many, many people who have far less than me. So, with the words of Dr. King still ringing in my ears, I'm going to give. Here's a link to the page, which makes it easy to donate: U-District Food Bank.

No comments: