Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Highlights from my quick trip to NYC

Had a great time, but way too short! Not enough meals in the day to even make a dent... but I sure tried.

Loved Marlo & Sons in Brooklyn, best chicken fried steak I've had, I dunno, ever. Wonderful pastrami at Katz Deli. Beautiful brunch in one of the prettiest dining rooms nobody's ever heard of: New Leaf Cafe in Fort Tryon Park. Downright pastoral.

Spectacular spread with the Southern Foodways Alliance folks at Butter: fiddleheads and lentils, pate crostini topped with shaved fennel, chard ravioli, flatbread, deep-fried soft-shell crab, ramps, incredible wine.

After that, went to Momofuku Milk Bar for Dulce de Leche layer cake, Candy Bar Pie, Pork Buns (pictured above), then I fell into a sugar coma. Went back for lunch today at Momofuku Ssam, which is attached to the Milk Bar. Had a three-course lunch and sat at the counter. Could not believe how good the brisket was. So tender, yet not falling apart, in an intensely flavored broth, rice noodles. So simple, but stunning. Really. I'm not just swept away on the David Chang mania. 

I'll file a separate report soon on the James Beard awards soon. 

2 comments:

David Hinske said...

Pork buns? Pork buns? They look pretty gross.

Kristie Lauborough said...

You're making me pretty hungry :(