Monday, January 28, 2008

MOVING SUCKS!

There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home.

We are finally settling into our new digs. What an ordeal! Yesterday, I was so discombobulated I locked myself out of the new place on my way to clean the old apartment. (I highly recommend the good folks at Pop A Lock.) Plus, I lost my cell phone charger and we can't quite master the cable/sound system puzzle.

Yeah, yeah. Well, it's called "Whining" and dining.

So, naturally I had been thinking about what to cook for the first meal in the new house. Something special. I wanted to take my time in my wonderful new kitchen, which has a huge pantry and a built-in wine fridge. Freaking dee-luxe.

But it didn't work out that way. After hubby and strapping nephew Nick did all the heavy lifting, they needed some grub, stat. I threw something together: gumbo made from a Zatarin's mix that I kicked up a notch with andouille sausage, shrimp and lots of Frank's Red Hot sauce. Sitting over steaming bowls of the spicy stew, nobody said a word. We were too tired and hungry. It turned out to be a memorable first meal after all.

1 comment:

Curt said...

As I told John, I'm impressed that after moving you had the energy (and could find dishes, plates, forks, etc.) to cook! Last time I moved I took the volunteers out for lunch afterwards.