Friday, February 15, 2008

Chocolate hangover

Finally made it into Cupcake Royale for the now-legendary "Deathcake", which is a killer quad shot of chocolate badness. And I mean bad like bad ass.

Had to split this goodie with Bridget. It was a treat to watch her face light up after taking that first sinful bite. Pity it's only available this time of year.

The love of my life gifted me with some Fran's chocolates, which are sublime. The assortment includes chocolate sprinkled with French salt. Hubby thinks that combo is plain awful. Like Pamela Anderson and Kidd Rock, they just do not belong together. But I love that sweet/salty contrast. No, I'm not talking about the D-list celebs.

That's exactly what got me hooked on dulce de leche, the thick caramel sauce I first tasted in Buenos Aires. It tastes like it has a pinch of salt to keep the sweet from getting too sticky.

Where do you stand on this importance issue of pairing chocolate and salt??

4 comments:

Kristie Lauborough said...

Considering I love chocolate-covered pretzels and one of my favorite things is dipping my fries into my Frosty, I'd say sweet + salty = tasty.

Flaunt! Inc. said...

I love Fran's caramels with grey sea salt. You are so right about the contrast of the sweet & salty...it's just divine.

Kristie Lauborough said...

You know, I may just have to bake brownies and sprinkle some sel gris on top (since my friend from Sweden brought me some from her visit to her grandmother in Provence).

Unknown said...

I always balance out my desserts with a bit of salt, even though the recipe doesn't call for it. Salt in caramel is a must, and a few flakes of Maldon on top of a glossy ganache provides a necessary crunch. I am not a huge fan of Fran's salted caramels, but they are a decent candy.

It's funny because a lot of people have told me that the little bit of salt I use in all my desserts make them seem more addictive. It's not something most of them notice right away, but it's there. I think it's especially needed in something one-note and sweet, like the Italian meringue I put on certain pies.