Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Bummer!!

I just got off the phone with Brandon Gillespie, owner of Beato, who was sorry to report he's going to have to pull the plug on his West Seattle restaurant.

"It's just too much of an uphill battle with the economy," said Gillespie, who knows a thing or two about the markets since he's a trader. 

In just the past four weeks, he has seen business drop by 65 percent. Shoot!

"When things get bad, fine dining is the first to go and the last to come back," he said.

Beato's last supper will be served Nov. 14. The restaurant's offering deals on wine and featuring an updated menu. I'm going to make it a point of getting in there to pay my respects. You?

2 comments:

Nic said...

How sad! Beato is one of my favorite restaurants in Seattle. This is a very sad news...

David Hinske said...

Art sales are in the race for first to go in this economy - but probably won't win thanks to your recent purchase, Leslie. For sure, though, the lovely bride and I definitely are curtailing our out-of-the-house dining of all kinds. (Almost wrote 'out-house', but didn't want to give the wrong impression of my little town...) Friday rally, anyone?