Tuesday, March 31, 2009

BBQ road trip

Took a trip with Bob Lyon and his wife, Sandra, to Brank's in Sumner. Bob has a case full of trophies and is known as the grandfather of NW Barbecue circuit, though some of his sweetest victories came down South. 

He's been trying to coax me to this place for some time, and my first impressions were hopeful: the stack of wood, the huge pig statue on the roof, the sing-song accent of the owner, Charlie. 

But after trying a little bit of everything, I was reminded, once again: You're not in Memphis anymore baby! 

The brisket was dry and chewy, the ribs were fine, though would have benefitted from better trimming and more smoky flavor, the loin was bland, the pulled pork was shredded and the sauce made the statement. I wanted to like it, but...

I think the best BBQ I've had in Seattle was at Peco's Pit, though they still overdo in on the sauce. Someday, I would love to lead a tour of Memphis hot spots, to turn the uninitated into Q believers. Anybody game? How about next May?

4 comments:

Bruce said...

Even as a former Memphian, a BBQ pilgrimage sounds very tempting. Keep me on the mailing list. :)

kitchenmage said...

While the road trip sounds like fun, there may be a closer option. If you are down in the Olympia/Hood Canal area, there's a great BBQ place in Shelton of all places. Smokin Mo's is my latest addiction and may be worth a trip.

Then again, I am not from one of the BBQ states so I may just be clueless when it comes to good BBQ. I know it's a religious thing with some folks. grin

Frank!!! said...

I was going to head to Texas next March...

Fred Deaton said...

You are making me want to sneak out of work and drive 30 miles east to Parker-Scott's BBQ!

My next big BBQ adventure is a day drive to Murphysboro IL to eat at 17th Street Bar and Grill. That is where the three time Memphis winning Apple City BBQers sell their bbq! If Mempry serves me, they are the only three-time winner!

I stumbled on to a place Grandpa's BBQ in Atwood. TN and Sam's in Milan, TN. These are two nearby places to test BBQ.