Monday, March 16, 2009

Not the happy ending I was hoping for...





Just heard tomorrow's P-I is the last print edition. Even though we knew this was coming, I could not helping hoping for some last-minute reprieve. Bill Gates to the rescue? Not to be.

Can't really blame the billionaires who don't want to tie their fortunes to a sinking ship, but I just wish it wasn't so. 

I have had so many people tell me that this wretched development has been like losing a dear friend. There will be a period of mourning, otherwise known as a wicked hangover. I'm guessing as soon as the doors of Buckley's open, the wake will begin. 

Just this morning, I filed my last stories, one on spring greens and one on touring Lake Union. They'll likely show up online, but here's a preview of the final dining column:

"I hate long goodbyes, so I'm not going to go on and on about how sad I feel about filing what is likely my last column in my 25-plus year print career. Instead, I'm going to drown my sorrows before picking myself up and starting a new chapter."

More on that very soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Leslie and John, it was 11 years ago last month that the Nashville Banner closed its doors after 122 years. Initially, yes, it was devastating, but that unhappy ending opened up doors I never knew existed, and it will for you, too. I'm so very sorry this has happened, but you guys will be just fine.
Take care,
Carol Davis

Diane said...

This is indeed a sad day -- for the Seattle P-I employees and freelance contributors and for the readers of the paper, both online and off. You've done a spectacular job as both a columnist and a reviewer, Leslie, calling 'em as you sees 'em without bias or bullsh*t. I don't know what's going to happen in days to come, but without journalistic food coverage, my guess is we'll be reading reviews that are influenced by freebies, friendships or bitter agendas. You were a straight arrow, Leslie, a true journalist: objective, informed and always entertaining. Thanks for all the good reads -- and good eats.