Thursday, August 30, 2007

I'm so homesick for Memphis

I don't care how hot it is, I've been getting tons of mouthwatering reports from my cousin Suz, who's in M'town this week at a conference.

Naturally I gave her a list of must-do meals, and she's followed my advice a few times. Called to rave about the fried chicken from Alcenia's. She was on her way to Bryant's for some biscuits, but she got there too late. Darn. I sent her to Buns on the Run, and suggested she stop at Soul Fish Cafe on the way. She said she had just had lunch, and wasn't hungry.

So?

I'm looking forward to going down South this fall, for the Southern Foodways Alliance symposium -- this year's focus is on the state of Southern food -- and I'm already working on my game plan for getting in as many meals as I can stomach. I don't think I'll even have time to try the new places, but if I were to pick just one, what would it be?

5 comments:

Gregg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

the conference looks amazing. i hope they repeat the same exact one in 5 or so years when i can take the time to go.

sorry about the above post. that came from my work blog login.

Unknown said...

Sorry for the double post...but would you revoke your replacement's southern food critic license?

http://commercialappeal-web.com/whinedine/2007/08/29/sigh-those-yankees/#comments

Mary said...

Seriously - Please stay away from Memphis - You are NOT missed!!! The CA needed to run you off.

fancycwabs said...

Looks like "Mary" needs some lessons in Southern Hospitality.