Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A new chapter for W&D

I'm starting over, again. After launching Whining & Dining at the Spokesman-Review in 2003, it's traveled with me to Memphis and back to the Northwest, where I've been writing restaurant reviews for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. My dream job.

But anyone who has been paying attention knows the newspaper business ain't what it used to be, so I find myself a freelancer. Not such a bad thing, especially because I'll still be writing reviews for the P-I. I'll miss sitting in a newsroom, though. It's a noisy, chaotic, absolutely frenetic environment, desks crammed impossibly close. And I loved every minute of it.

Still, I'm not the kind who laments. I look forward and celebrate. With a shimmering glass of Veuve Clicquot, thank you very much. I hope some of you will come along for on the never-ending eating adventure.

10 comments:

David Hinske said...

...and so here we are. This feels right somehow - like the inevitable landing point finally realized.

Neil said...

Oh, how I agree with No Sluggo Dave. Leslie, you might have more fun, and I know a lot more freedom, as an independent. Now not just reveiws, but favorite foods, beverages, or whatever. Those of us who grew to know you in Memphis will follow. It's a whole wide open world - enjoy!

Oh, and No Sluggo Dave, how is the sushi experience going?

David Hinske said...

comme ci, comme ca

Leslie Kelly said...

Reunited and it feels so good!
I'm so excited to see some of my favorite names weighing in here... I promise this is going to be way spicier than anything I did before. As Claire would say, I'm going to keep it real!!

fancycwabs said...

Veuve what?

Congratulations on your Googlewhack.

Carole H said...

Leslie, I was so glad I checked the Commercial Appeal blog today. GrantParish posted that you are now free lancing, & passed along your blogspot address. I think you are going to have a blast! You won't miss the newsroom for long because you make your own fun :-) Has the foot healed up OK?

Curt said...

We're going to miss you in the P-I newsroom. Come visit often!

Leslie Kelly said...

Randall: See what happens when I don't have an editor! Thanks for the heads up on the typo...

fancycwabs said...

Yeah, but you were the only hit when I googled "Veuve Cliqcuot" (or whatever it was). Now you're just one of 918,000.

Fred Deaton said...

Hey, No sSuggo, Have you moved away from Memphis???